Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Family Reunions

I'm looking over my blog and I realize it has been awhile since I posted, not that anyone reads it. We have a reunion coming up soon. Some family members from out of town will be there and this is good. As I get older it seems more important to stay in touch with family. 

I remember when I was a kid and we would go to the reunion. It would mean swimming and volleyball and good food. But their always came the time for the meal and that meant the blessing. We kids did not look forward to this, it meant remembering those that had passed away. A reading of a poem about those who were gone or perhaps a favorite Bible verse. And this would lead to a general sadness and bringing down of the revelry we kids felt. I always felt a little guilty about not being able to feel the loss others felt. I had too much to live for on this day, we were out to make memories not relive memories. 

Now as an up and coming old timer I get it. This too is part of the reunion, the memories of those who are gone is part of what binds us together. My folks are no longer with us, also gone are all my aunts and uncles and several of my older cousins. But what is remembered about them is the good times. People tell me how much they loved my mom, how fun my dad was; and this is what I remember about my cousins. I remember their jokes, their smiles and the good and often crazy times we were all part of. 

So here is to a fun and memorable reunion. Eat, play hard(it's only once every other year), laugh and joke, and don't forget to pause and remember those who are waiting for that final reunion.







0)

No comments:

Post a Comment